Venti’s Cafe + Basement Bar welcomes Zak Stone as our August-September artist. We have had installations by a variety of photographers over the years but Zak is definitely the first to have an all Instagram show. Very cool. Totally inspiring. Hope you all enjoy!
What is Instagram? I was slightly unsure myself so I am including the wikipedia entry:
Instagram is a free photo sharing program that was launched in October 2010. The service allows users to take a photo, apply a digital filter to it and then share it on a variety of social networking services, including Instagram’s own. A distinctive feature is that it confines photos to a square shape, similar to Kodak Instamatic and Polaroid images, in contrast to the 4:3 aspect ratio typically used by mobile device cameras.
I hope I don’t sound like a fuddy duddy! I am definitely adept at using my smart phone and am all over social media. I guess it’s time to install this program! One of the attractions of using Instagram is from your smartphone you can put cool filters and effects on the image. Zak has taken his smartphone pics a step further and is printing them out for display.
Artist bio below:
￼Zak Stone is a Salem, Oregon native. Photography is not a hobby for him but a way of life. He has been shooting photos for almost 20 years. His work has been published in magazines all over the world. 90% of his photos are shot with his iphone & the iProlens System. The other 10% is shot with a Gopro camera or Canon 40D. All prints were made at Instacanv.as and can be ordered from the website below. You can also follow him on Instagram @mr0tt